Orozco’s 318 Page Grand Jury Transcript Makes it Clear that Developers Own Beaumont
“It was Important that We were able to Sell the Bonds and have the Money Returned to Us,” Chambers told the grand jury.
Below are highlights from an Article written by Daniel Danielski and printed in the Riverside Press Enterprise. Read full Article here: http://www.pe.com/2017/06/05/d…
Beaumont Councilman Mark Orozco last year pressured a development firm for a $15,000 campaign contribution about a week before the City Council considered pro- and anti-growth candidates to fill a vacant council seat, according to grand jury testimony released Monday, June 5.
The 318-page transcript details the case Riverside County prosecutors are pursuing against Orozco, who faces one count of bribery and nine counts of perjury for allegedly falsely and repeatedly listing a loan on campaign finance disclosure forms stemming from a failed 2014 bid for county supervisor.
According to Chambers and Taylor, Della Condon, seen as favoring slow growth, and Sean Balingit, considered more open to development, were two candidates being considered by the council to serve the remainder of Fox’s term.
At that point, Irvine-based Pardee Homes was in a difficult spot with Beaumont.
The company, Chambers said, was owed about $25 million from the city for streets, sidewalks, drainage channels and other public works associated with two large developments, Sundance and the 1,300-home Tournament Hills projects.
The city was supposed to issue municipal bonds to pay for the improvements but was still analyzing the value of the work done.
“It was important that we were able to sell the bonds and have the money returned to us,”
Chambers told the grand jury. “And we made that clear to – we discussed that with Mr. Orozco.”