Expendable Seven Wave Right to Speedy Trial
Written by David Danelski, Reprinted from the Press Enterprise
Don’t expect the corruption case against seven former Beaumont officials to be resolved anytime soon.
On Friday, May 26, attorneys for six of the defendants told Riverside County Superior Court Judge Mac Fisher that their clients waived their rights to a speedy trial.
Only the attorney representing former Beaumont City Attorney Joseph Aklufi said her client wanted the case to be resolved expeditiously.
The criminal complaint filed last year against former officials alleged an array of corruption charges, including conflicts of interest, embezzlement and misappropriation of city funds that added up to more than $43 million.
The other defendants are former City Manager Alan Kapanicas, former Public Works Director Deepak Moorjani, former Planning Director Ernest A. Egger, former Economic Development Director David W. Dillon, former Finance Director William K. Aylward, and former Police Chief Francis Dennis “Frank” Coe.
All seven have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Read Full Article Here: http://www.pe.com/2017/05/26/b…